Change Legal Name and/or Legal Gender Request



To change your legal name and/or gender on your University record please complete this form and attach the required documentation. To add or update your preferred name, degree (diploma) name, gender identity, or personal pronouns, go to MyU: My Info.

If you are an international student, contact International Student and Scholar Services at 612-626-7100 or to discuss legal name and/or gender changes in regard to immigration documents (I-20/DS-2019).

If you have applied for undergraduate admission, but have not yet registered for classes, contact the Office of Admissions at


Complete all questions and provide documentation as requested. Failure to include required documentation will prevent your request from being processed. 

If you are correcting a misspelling or similar error in your name, please email for instructions rather than completing this form.

To submit this form you will be required to upload one of the following documents. You may upload multiple files if necessary to support your request. 

  • Legal name change
    • Court order
    • Marriage certificate
    • Certification of naturalization
    • Passport/visa - International students only
  • Legal gender change*
    • Driver’s license
    • Court order
    • Passport/visa

*Note: The University of Minnesota student and human resources systems only allow female/male legal gender options at this time. The University is working on updates to this system to allow a third non-binary option. If your documentation has a different legal gender option listed than what you are able to select on this form, please contact the Office of the Registrar at to discuss how to proceed. 


Please allow up to 1-2 business days for review and processing. You will be notified via email when the process is complete.

Get help

For questions about this process, please email For technical issues, contact the Information Technology Help Desk at or 651-301-HELP (4357).

Do not use your browser's back and forward buttons. Only use the form navigation buttons at the bottom of each page. Using browser buttons may cause you to lose information you entered or other errors.

Signed out

If you have an active UMN email address or MyU account, please use the button below to sign in. Signing in will allow this form to use information from your student record, and reduce the amount of information you must enter manually.